TAMARIND RASAM- DETOX
Then here is the Tamarind detox soupy broth called Rasam. In Sanskrit, Rasa means Juice. Rasam simply put is seasoned water that has potent healing benefits.
The base of this soup contains a powerful nutrient of a Vitamin C component coming from tamarind extract.
Then this concentrated extract is simmered in water along with other anti-inflammatories known like ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric, peppercorns etc.
Rasam has a wide range of health benefits that aids to optimise one's health and healing when added to your diet even commonly.
Here is the recipe for Tamarind Rasam Detox.
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: under 30 mins
Makes: 4 servings
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind
1" ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed coarsely
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed coarsely
1 sprig of curry leaves( recommended but optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp of coriander/parsley, chopped
salt to taste
2 cups of water
Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water, preferably warm water and extract the tamarind concentrate from the water and discard the pulp.
Add all the ingredients into a large soup pot.
Bring the broth to a boiling consistency, once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10 min.
Now, turn the heat off put the lid on to the pot.
- Strain the rasam with a strainer to remove all the solid ingredients and serve warm as a soup or as an appetiser.
- In India, it is usually served as a comforting meal with rice and some poppadoms.
1) I prefer to avoid adding oil to this rasam as I make this in a large batch to consume several times during the day for a perfect detox.
2) If preferred, one can always temper the dry ingredients and add the tamarind extract.
3) This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days ensuring not to boil too much and can further be enhanced by adding fresh coriander leaves just before serving.
Please leave your comments and share your thoughts below.